Sunday, November 12, 2017

The Grand Pecking Order (2001), by Oysterhead

"Come on kiddies gather 'round / There's a new sensation here in town / When all else has been done and said / Along comes Mr. Oysterhead."

Oysterhead may not be the last word – or note or chord – in music, or any art for that matter, but they are definitely one of the most unique, exhilarating, and maniacal voices in the socioeconomic and political entertainment continuum.

I recently exhumed this gem from deep within my archival collection in anticipation of the eponymous debut album by supergroup Gizmodrome, co-founded by Police and Animal Logic drummer Stewart Copeland, who also sits behind the kit for Oysterhead in collusion with Primus bassist/vocalist Les Claypool and Phish guitarist/vocalist Trey Anastasio.

Obviously, the collaboration of such musical giants as Copeland, Claypool, and Anastasio results in instrumental performances of the highest technical – not to mention grand pecking – order. And thanks especially to the freewheeling mad genius of Claypool, as well as Copeland and Anastasio, the lyrics and vocals are refreshingly ludicrous.

For example, sample some more practical wisdom from Oysterhead: "Rubberneck lions as I lie in bed / I bought a cactus from a miser named Fred / I choose to live on water and bread / Rubberneck lions as I lie in bed."

Although Oysterhead themselves are not the last word, I leave the last words of my review to them, extolling their presumably imaginary namesake's virtues, which I believe they also share:

"He's an inspiration! He's an inspiration! He's an inspiration to us ALL!"

--Raj Manoharan

No comments:

Post a Comment